A couple of weeks ago, I had an interesting conversation with my mother and Nana. They both have pretty fantastic skin, and my face looks like garbage at the best of times. They told me that they don't use soap on their faces, ever. I was using it every day. I immediately vowed to not use it for two weeks, just to see what would happen.
I haven't used soap on my face since. I've just used a sponge or washcloth to wipe my face with warm water. It's been a roller coaster.
I kind of picked a horrible time to start this little experiment. I was PMSing in the beginning, and on my period at one point. My hormones are a little all over the place right now. I didn't think I'd get through the entire two weeks, because my face was horribly broken out, and I was panicking. However, it's miraculously cleared up quite a bit in the last few days. Not entirely, but enough.
I took a few notes throughout the process (and I've literally just cut and pasted them here):
- Two days in: not bad, face is a little bit oilier, sponge is better than cloth, using less face oil
- June 14 & 15: face breaking out really bad, but from PMS maybe
- June 17: period, oh
- June 21: the PMS breakouts have gone down, my skin currently feels the same as when I use soap
- June 22: I experimented with no oil, dumb idea
- June 26: a few possibly hormonal breakouts but it's all good, the washcloth is actually better now
At this point, I think it's only fair that I continue the experiment for another couple of weeks. I'm actually starting to see the benefits, but I want a fair idea of how my skin takes no soap. If this actually works, I will be one happy, free woman. Wish me luck.
Would you ever stop using soap on your face?